The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
St Dunstan's Church  Carriers Road  Cranbrook Town  Cranbrook  
St Dunstans c1905
St Dunstan c1905
Friends of St Dunstan's Website
Friends of St Dunstan's Website
Cranbrook is within the Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of Charing. The church is dedicated to St. Dunstan, confessor, and is very large and handsome. It consists of three isles and three chancels. The pillars on each side of the middle isle are beautifully slender and well proportioned. The west end has a gallery over it, ornamented with painting. The pews are uniform, and made of wainscot, and the pavement black and white marble. The high chancel is well ceiled, and decorated with paintings. The east window is full of fine stained glass, many of the figures of it being entire, and richly ornamented as to their drapery, &c. There are several shields of arms remaining in it, among which are those of Wilsford, Guldeford, quartered with Halden, within the order of the garter, and archbishop Bourchier, being those of the see of Canterbury, impaling first and fourth, Bouchier, second and third, gules, a fess between twelve billets, or. Archbishop Tenifon, in 1710, was a benefactor in repairing of the high chancel. Against the east wall of the fouth chancel is a very high and broad pyramid of white marble, on which there is a full account of the family of Roberts, inscribed by a most pompous scheme of pedigree, with the numerous coats of arms properly emblazoned. At the west end is a square tower steeple, in which are eight bells and a set of chimes. On the west side of the tower were formerly carved in the stone-work, though now decayed by time, the arms of Berham, Bettenham and Wilsford, in antient times owners of lands, as has been al ready mentioned, in this parish. In the fouth isle over the vault, in which the remains of the Bakers and their descendants lie, is a superb pyramid of white marble, on which are the names and the dates of their deaths, and at the top of it their arms. It was erected by John Baker Dowel, esq. of Over, son of John and Mary, in 1736.
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1798

Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

609Christenings6710236326165749240364
418Marriages2406628222418487664282
178Burials2141181119199598117
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1798The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume VII by Edward Hastedp. 109
1852Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex and Surrey by The Rev. Arthur Hussey, M.A. ⇒ p. 53
1874A History of The Weald of Kent with an outline of the History of the County to the present time, Volume II by Robert Furley, F.S.A.p. 582; p. 593; p. 595
1896A Glimpse at Cranbrook - The Town of the Weald by W. Stanley Martin ⇒ p. 33
2008A History of Cranbrook from the earliest times to 1914 by Peter Allenp. 10; p. 11; p. 27; p. 43; p. 45; p. 51; p. 72

Historical records

1749Appointmentby Rev Joseph Disney to be parish clerkSamuel Jenner, parish clerkSt Dunstan's Church

14th Jun 1760Cranbrook ChurchCranbrook Church drawn by Francis Grose© British Library Board - Shelfmark: Kotp XVI, Item number: 43-1

1896Cranbrook ChurchCranbrook Church photographed by E.J. HolmesGlimpse at Cranbrook

1896Town HallTown Hall, Cranbrook photographed by E.J. HolmesGlimpse at Cranbrook

1903CranbrookCranbrook photographed by Francis FrithPrivate collection

1904St Dunstan's ChurchSt Dunstan's Church, CranbrookPrivate collection

c 1905Cranbrook ChurchCranbrook Church, Cranbrook photographed by Francis FrithPrivate collection

1906St Dunstan's Church WindowSt Dunstan's Church Window, CranbrookPrivate collection

1912South Porch, Cranbrook ChurchSouth Porch, Cranbrook Church photographed by Baylay, Stone Street, CranbrookPrivate collection

c 1920St. Dunstan's ChurchSt. Dunstan's Church, Cranbrook photographed by Valentine's seriesPrivate collection

1930Interior of St. Dunstan's ChurchInterior of St. Dunstan's Church, Cranbrook photographed by E.A. Sweetman & Son Ltd, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

c 1930The Baptistry, St. Dunstans ChurchThe Baptistry, St. Dunstans Church, Cranbrook photographed by Valentine's seriesPrivate collection

1946St. Dunstan's ChurchSt. Dunstan's Church, Cranbrook photographed by Shoesmith and Etheridge, HastingsPrivate collection

2008Baker's Jail, St. Dunstan's ChurchBaker's Jail, St. Dunstan's Church, CranbrookAllen's History of Cranbrook

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page