|Forest Fold [als Two Chimneys] Chapel London Road Crowborough Consecrated 1836|
Books and other documents
|Published||Title, author and references|
|1932||History of Forest Fold Baptist Chapel by S. Delves ⇒ Book|
|1933||The Story of Crowbrough ⇒ p. 48|
|1985||Crowborough - The Growth of a Wealden Town by Malcolm Payne ⇒ p. 91|
|13th Jun 1844||History||George Doggett, farmer||Forest Fold Chapel||Forest Fold History|
|In those dark days there resided in the Neighbourhood, at Old Buckhurst, a comparatively young man, Mr Doggett by name, who had come from Norfolk. …… One night his rest was broken by a dream, in which Crowborough Forest appeared to him as a great roaring sea .... in a certain spot appeared a lighthouse ..... the dream made such an impression that he felt it to be an indication of the will of God to establish the preaching of the gospel in that spot where, in his dream, the lighthouse appeared to stand ..... on this spot he found an od barn .... had it licensed as a place of worship .... still forms the walls of Forest Fold Chapel|
|13th Jun 1844||Formed||Jonathan Mose||Forest Fold Baptist Chapel||Forest Fold History|
|Forest Fold Baptist Chapel was formed on June 13th, 1844. Mr Jonathan Mose appears to have ministered regularly to the people who assembled in the barn for four years, and so on the formation of the church became the first Pastor.|
|1844 to 1852||Occupation Pastor of Forest Fold Chapel||Jonathan Mose||Forest Fold [als Two Chimneys] Chapel||Forest Fold History|
|30th Mar 1851||Census||Head; occupation: baptist minister||Jonathan Mose||Two Chimneys Chapel||1851 Census|
|30th Mar 1851||Census||Wife||Ann Mose|
|30th Mar 1851||Census||Son; occupation: school master||William Mose|
|30th Mar 1851||Census||Lodger, occupation: school master||George Bigwood|
|1853 to 1867||Occupation Pastor of Forest Fold Chapel||John Saxby||Forest Fold [als Two Chimneys] Chapel||Forest Fold History|
|12th Jul 1868||History||Ebenezer Littleton, baptist minister||Forest Fold Church||Forest Fold History|
|Mr E Littleton, having supplied for six months to the profit and education of the Forest Fold Church, was cordially and unanimously requested to take the pastorate, which was accepted by him, his stated labours commencing July 13th, 1868|
The pastorate of Mr Littleton covered a period of 52 years, and his name and memory are still remembered and loved by many.
|1868 to 1908||Occupation Pastor of Forest Fold Chapel||Ebenezer Littleton, baptist minister||Forest Fold [als Two Chimneys] Chapel||Forest Fold History|
|c 1875||Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance Survey||Baptist Chapel|
|3rd Apr 1881||Census||Ebenezer Littleton, M, Head, married, age 50, born Shropshire; occupation: baptist minister||Ebenezer Littleton, baptist minister||Two Chimneys Baptist Chapel||1881 Census|
|3rd Apr 1881||Census||Mary Littleton, F, Wife, married, age 44, born Lancashire||Mary Littleton|
|3rd Apr 1881||Census||William Littleton, M, Son, age 25, born Lancashire; occupation: pupil teacher||William Littleton|
|3rd Apr 1881||Census||Isabella Littleton, F, Daughter, age 13, born Rotherfield; occupation: scholar||Isabella Littleton|
|3rd Apr 1881||Census||Annie Littleton, F, Daughter, age 5, born Withyham; occupation: scholar||Annie Littleton|
|3rd Apr 1881||Census||Frances A. Turner, F, Servant, age 17, born Withyham; occupation Domestic servant||Frances A. Turner|
|1882||Directory entry||Littleton Rev. Ebenezer [Baptist], [Baptist], Forest Fold, Crowborough||Forest Fold, Crowborough||Kelly's Directory|
|1886||Reflections||Forest Fold||Field and Hedgerow|
|'Here and there a house stands, as it seems, alone in the world on the Forest Ridge, thousands of acres of heather around, the deep weald underneath - as at Duddleswell, a look-out, as it were, over the earth. Forest Row, where they say the courtiers had their booths in ancient days; Forest Fold, Boar's-head Street, Greenwood Gate - all have a forest sound; and what prettier name could there be than Sweet-Haws? Greybirchet Wood again; Mossbarn, Highbroom, and so on. Outlying woods in every direction are fragments of the forest, you cannot get away from it; and look over whatever gate you will, there is always a view.'|
extract from Buckhurst Park written by Richard Jefferies in 1886
|1890||History||Forest Fold||Firmin's Guide|
There were farm-houses at High Broom and at Redbridge, both claiming to be of very old date, but the present buildings have been either extensively repaired, so as to leave little of the old building remaining, or have been altogether rebuilt.
For many years the only place of worship at Crowborough was the chapel built by Sir H. Fermor, Bart. The Nonconformist chapels were built long after, the oldest being the one on the Lye Green Road, close to, but not in Crowborough parish, known as Forest Fold, which has been in existence between sixty and seventy years. Before the present building was erected, Worship was performed in a barn.
The shop first established in the parish was on Chapel Green, in the building opposite to Mr. Turk's present grocery store. Here might be had a little drapery and grocery, but the stock and variety were very limited.
The shops at the Cross were established long after, within the memory of persons now living.
Carriers brought from Lewes and London the little that was required for the small community.
A coach passed over the Beacon Hill in its journey from Brighton to London, via Tunbridge Wells. Another coach ran over the Duddleswell Road and Church Hill, past the Five Hundred Acres, from Brighton through Uckfield, Maresfield, and Tunbridge Wells to London.
The postal arrangements of the period would be intolerable to us now. The nearest post office was at Rotherfield, and letters were not delivered, but were retained at the office till applied for.
The postage, which was paid by the claimant, was never under 1s. 2d. Mr. Howis, who lived at the Warren, always sent for his letters to Forest Row, a distance of seven miles or more. Probably the postal service to that place was more frequent and regular than at Rotherfield.
There was but one turnpike at Crowborough, and that was placed a little beyond the Crow and Gate Inn. It was done away with about sixteen or seventeen years ago.
Few, if any, of the people of the place had learned to read or write, there being no opportunity of getting instruction until after the Fermor School was established in 1734, and then only a limited number of children could be received into the school. Neither were there any churches or chapels nearer than Rotherfield. A few of the farmers attended at Rotherfield Church, but none of the labouring population ever thought of entering a place of worship. Even after the Fermor Chapel was built very few persons attended it.
|5th Apr 1891||Census||Ebenezer Littleton, M, Head, married, age 60, born Market Drayton, Shropshire; occupation: baptist minister||Ebenezer Littleton, baptist minister||Chapel House, Crowboro' Road||1891 Census|
|5th Apr 1891||Census||Mary Littleton, F, Wife, married, age 55, born Lancashire||Mary Littleton|
|5th Apr 1891||Census||Isabella Littleton, F, Daughter, single, age 23, born Rotherfield, Sussex||Isabella Littleton|
|5th Apr 1891||Census||Annie Littleton, F, Daughter, single, age 15, born Withyham, Sussex||Annie Littleton|
|5th Apr 1891||Census||Emily J Saunders, F, Servant, single, age 35, born Tunbridge Wells, Kent; occupation: general domestic servant||Emily J Saunders|
|5th Apr 1891||Census||Alfred J Eade, M, Visitor, single, age 25, born Edenbridge, Kent; occupation: machinist||Alfred J Eade|
|1897||History||Ebenezer Littleton, baptist minister||Forest Fold [als Two Chimneys] Chapel||Forest Fold History|
|Rebuilding of the Chapel|
|c 1899||Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance Survey||Baptist Chapel|
The Weald is at Database version 12.1 which has ongoing updates to the 376,323 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 242 books loaded in the previous version