The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Hanover Chapel    Hanover Road  Tunbridge Wells  Consecrated Baptist
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

0Christenings
2Marriages2
0Burials
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 105
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 119

Historical records

1770 to 1809HistoryHanover ChapelColbran's Tunbridge Wells

… about the year 1770 a chapel was built for "The General Baptists," by the united exertions of Mr. Mathias Copper and Mr. Joseph Haines, both of whom were preachers in that persuasion, and the latter it appears held the ministry for about thirty years. This chapel was erected immediately adjoining Ephraim House, and was pulled down about the year 1809. On its site a row of cottages has been built, but the original Baptistry still remains. The burying ground, too, though sadly, we may say disgracefully neglected, still marks the spot, where some of the "rude forefathers of the hamlet sleep."


1834HistorychapelColbran's Tunbridge Wells

About the year 1833, however, some few serious persons occasionally assembled for worship, belonging to the sect of Particular, or Calvinistic Baptists. At first they congregated in a school-room in the Grosvenor Road, but finding their numbers speedily increase, they commenced a subscription for building a chapel. As their labours were attended with success, they commenced the present neat building in Hanover Road, on the 14th August, 1834. It.was finished on the 5th November, and opened on the 6th November in the same year.


1839Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsBaptist ChapelColbran's Tunbridge Wells
The Weald is at  Database version 10.7 which has ongoing updates to the 371,515 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 231 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives