The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Christ Church    High Street  Tunbridge Wells  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

22Christenings148
4Marriages22
0Burials
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 85; p. 95
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 110

Historical records

9th Sep 1835HistoryChrist ChurchColbran's Tunbridge Wells

The elegant structure intended to bear this designation is not yet finished though far advanced towards completion, and will probably be consecrated and opened for Divine Worship during the present Season, (1839.) It was built from the designs of R. P. Brown, Esq. of Greenwich; Messrs. Cole, Thorpe, and Scantlebury, being the builders. It will contain 1300 Sittings, nearly one half of which will be free. This building was erected partly by Subscription, and when finished, will cost upwards of £6000. The foundation stone was laid the 9th. of September, 1835.


1839Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsChrist ChurchColbran's Tunbridge Wells

1840HistoryEpiscopal ChapelColbran's Tunbridge Wells

On the rival hill, Mount Sion, is Cumberland House, formerly the residence of Richard Cumberland, Esq. whose fame as a dramatic writer, will outlive his reputation as a diplomatist. At Burlington House, now the residence of Mrs. Akers, lived Sir James Bland Burgess; and North Grove House, behind the new (intended) Episcopal Chapel, was occupied by Lord North. Descending the hill, on the left, is a new row of buildings, called Cumberland Gardens, and at the end is Cumberland Terrace, so named from its having been the favorite promenade of the Duke and Duchess of Cumberland. This terrace is pleasantly situated, and has some excellent lodging-houses. There are fields and gardens in front, the little stream that divides the Counties running between them; at the end, are the nursery grounds of Mr. Thomas Cripps, who has cultivated the rose to a high state of perfection.


26th Jun 1860Christ ChurchChrist Church, Tunbridge Wells by Rock & Co., LondonPrivate collection
The Weald is at  Database version 10.7 which has ongoing updates to the 371,515 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 231 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives