|Gloucester Tavern The Pantiles [als The Parade, The Walks] Tunbridge Wells|
Books and other documents
|Published||Title, author and references|
|1766||The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 105|
|1776||History||Glocester-Tavern||Burr's Tunbridge Wells|
Mount Pleasant gives site to a noble modern brick house, built in a genteel taste, upon the brow of this delightful hill, which commands an extensive prospect of the place. This was lately the property of the right honourable the Earl of Egmont; but is now possessed by Mr. William Gratton, master of the Glocester-Tavern
|1776||History||Gloucester Tavern||Burr's Tunbridge Wells|
The Wells, properly so called, is the center of business and pleasure, because there the markets, the medicinal water, the chapel, the assembly-room and the public parades are situated
These parades are usually called the upper walk and the lower walk; the first being neatly paved with square brick, raised about four steps above the other, and particularily appropriated to the company; the second remains unpaved, and is chiefly used by country people and servants.
On the right hand of the paved walk in the way from the well is the assembly-room, the coffee-houses, and the shops for silver-smiths, jewellers, milleners, booksellers, Tunbridgeware, &c. From thence a portico is extended the whole length of the parade, supported by Tuscan pillars, for the company to walk under occasionally. This walk is shaded by a long row of large and flourishing trees planted on the left hand of it, in the midst of which is erected a gallery for musick; and the whole is properly separated from the lower walk by a range of neat palisades, opposite to which are the taverns, a few decent lodging-houses, and a very elegant assembly-room, with a coffe-house, and all needful conveniences for the entertainment of company.
The Weald is at Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version