The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Queens Grove    The Common  Tunbridge Wells  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1766The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 59
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 63

Historical records

1688 to 1702HistoryQueen's-groveBurr's Tunbridge Wells

In 1688, Princess Anne of Denmark was at Tunbridge-Wells … This princess several seasons successively honoured the place with her presence, and was a great benefactress to it. She gave the bason to the spring called the "Queen's-well" which is situated on the left hand as you enter the area, and distinguished from the other by its iron bars

In 1698 her royal highness took her son, the young Duke of Glocester with her to the Wells, and was made sensible of the utility of paving the walks by a fall which he got; in his play with other children. … she left money for this purpose … her royal highness returned to the Wells before any progress was made. This neglect very much disgusted the princess, who thereupon instantly quitted the place … but before she went, she took effectual methods to have the pavement carried on with proper diligence.

On the accession of this princess to the throne of Great Britain, the inhabitants of Tunbridge-Wells, … planted the "Queen's-grove" on the common, for a growing monument of gratitude to their royal and generous benefactress.


1826Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1835HistoryRoyal Victoria GroveColbran's Tunbridge Wells

Her present Majesty [Queen Victoria], with her royal mother, the Duchess of Kent, having frequently honored Tunbridge Wells by residing there in the season, chiefly at Calverley House, the inhabitants were anxious to afford them a growing proof of their attachment and gratitude. At a meeting of the Freeholders of Rusthall Common, in the autumn of 1834, it was considered that the most appropriate record of their feelings would be shewn in planting a Grove on the common, adjoining Queen Anne's Grove, to be called the Victoria Grove. … [and] on Thursday, the 12th of February, 1835, soon after one o'clock, notwithstanding the torrents of rain which were then falling, the committee of management with the magistrates, and a great number of the inhabitants, preceded by the local band, went in procession from the upper assembly room to the spot selected for the new grove. Precisely at half-past one, William Scoones, Esq. as representative of the Lord of the Manor of Rusthall, planted the first tree, a Lime, and spoke to the following effect :- " In the name and on behalf of Thomas Christopher Gardner, Esq. I plant this tree, being the first of a series of trees to be called the Royal Victoria Grove; and I hope they may flourish for ever and ever, as well as their Royal Patroness." Three cheers were then given, and the band played the national anthem. … On the evening of the 12th upwards of two hundred of the clergy, magistrates, gentry, and inhabitants dined at the Upper Assembly Rooms in celebration of the event. The grove is 550 feet long and 50 feet wide, and consists of three rows of trees, Elms, Limes, and Sycamores - the trees being planted 12 feet apart.


1839Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsQueen's GroveColbran's Tunbridge Wells

1839Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsVictoria GroveColbran's Tunbridge Wells

1889Queens Grove, The CommonQueens Grove, The Common, Tunbridge Wells by Charles Reynolds & Co.Private collection

1907The GroveThe Grove, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Valentine's seriesQueens GrovePrivate collection

1908Queens GroveQueens Grove, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Valentine's seriesPrivate collection
Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.6 which has ongoing updates to the 370,382 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 227 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives