|King Charles-the-Martyr Church London Road Tunbridge Wells|
Books and other documents
|Published||Title, author and references|
|1766||The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 51|
|1797||The Tunbridge Wells Guide by J. Sprange ⇒ p. 82|
|1810||Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Paul Amsinck and Letitia Byrne ⇒ p. 87|
|1830||Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 35|
|1840||New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 86|
|1883||Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 106|
|1909||English Homes and Villages (Kent & Sussex)|
also published as
Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Lady Hope ⇒ p. 6
|1912||Society at Tunbridge Wells in the 18th century by Lewis Melville ⇒ p. 50|
|1678||History||King Charles-the-Martyr Church||Colbran's Tunbridge Wells|
This Chapel is a commodious building, containing sittings for nearly twelve hundred persons. It has no architectural beauty to recommend the external appearance, and the interior is equally plain, if we except the ceiling, which is highly ornamented. It was opened for divine worship in the season of 1678, under a temporary roof, the building not being then completed. It appears to have been finished in the year 1684, when the Rev. Dr. Walker preached two sermons in the chapel, and afterwards published them. They are entitled, "Fax Fonte Accensa," Fire out of Water, or an Endeavour to kindle Devotion, from the consideration of the Fountains God bath made. Designed for the Benefit of those who use the Tunbridge Wells Waters, &c. By Anthony Walker, D. D., London, 1684.
|1684||History||a chapel dedicated to King Charles the Martyr||Burr's Tunbridge Wells|
A subscription was opened in 1676, to raise a fund for building a chapel; which subscription was continued till 1684, when … this was judged sufficient … and a chapel dedicated to King Charles the Martyr was accordingly built on ground given for that purpose by Lady Purbeck of Somerhill … it was afterwards greatly enlarged and beautified
Adjoining to the chapel is a charity school, for fifty or more poor boys and girls, … supported by a contribution collected at the chapel doors, at two or three different times in the season.
|1686||History||the Chapel||Colbran's Tunbridge Wells|
Chapel of Ease Free School - Adjoining the Chapel is a School for the instruction of "fifty or more poor boys and girls," but at present confined to the education of boys, in consequence of other schools on a similar plan having been opened for girls. This school was opened about the year 1686, and for some time after its establishment, was held in the gallery of the chapel behind the organ, until successive donations enabled the Trustees to erect a school-room at the back of the chapel, which within these few years has been enlarged to its present size.
|1688 to 1696||History||King Charles-the-Martyr Church||Colbran's Tunbridge Wells|
The Chapel is dedicated to King Charles the Martyr. In the course of a few years after its erection, it was found to be too small for the numbers frequenting theWells. In 1688, therefore, a subscription was commenced for its enlargement, which was continued in each succeeding season for about eight years, and amounted to upwards of nine hundred pounds. There are two lists of subscribers in the vestry room. In the first list is the name of the Princess Anne of Denmark for £10 15s, and in the second, for the enlargement of the chapel, her Royal Highness's name appears for £53 15s. From these lists, the cost of the chapel is ascertained, as well as the time it was built, and the period of the, enlargement of it.
|1690 to 1840||History||King Charles-the-Martyr Church||Colbran's Tunbridge Wells|
Several eminent ministers have officiated here. The appointment is vested in certain Trustees, named by the deed. The first minister appointed appears to have been the Rev. David Waterhouse, and after him came in succession, the Reverends John Elton, William Dowding, William Thornhill, Thomas Foster, and Martin Benson. The latter gentleman, whose memory is highly respected by the inhabitants, was appointed in the year 1785, and held the office for forty three years, having resigned in 1823, on which occasion a piece of plate was presented to him as a testimony of the esteem in which he had been held. He died 1st. of April, 1833, aged 72 years. He was succeeded in his ministry in 1829, by the present minister, the Rev. W. L. Pope, M. A. Fellow of Worcester College, Oxford. … The Rev.W. L. Pope resides at Claremont Lodge; Mr. Thomas Stidolph, Organist, at Cumberland Terrace; and Mr. John Jenner, Clerk, at Mount Sion.
|1809||Chapel and Baths, Tunbridge Wells by Paul Amsinck & engraved by Letitia Byrne||Letitia Byrne||Amsinck's Tunbridge Wells|
|1830||King Charles Chapel, Tunbridge Wells||Private collection|
|1839||Tunbridge Wells||Chapel||Colbran's Tunbridge Wells|
|1841||Chapel of Ease, Tunbridge Wells by J.J. Dodd||Private collection|
|25th Aug 1863||Royal Kentish Hotel & Chapel of Ease, Tunbridge Wells by Rock & Co., London||King Charles-the-Martyr Church||Private collection|
|1905||King Charles The Martyr Church, Tunbridge Wells||Private collection|
|1906||King Charles The Martyr Church, Tunbridge Wells||Private collection|
|1910||King Charles Church, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Celesque||Private collection|
|1910||Interior of King Charles the Martyr, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Stafford, Tunbridge Wells||Private collection|
|1913||Church of King Charles the Martyr, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Stengel & Co., London||Private collection|
|1916||King Charles the Martyr, Tunbridge Wells||Jim Smith's records|
|c 1930||Chalybeate Spring and King Charles Church, Pantiles, Tunbridge Wells||King Charles-the-Martyr Church||Private collection|
|1933||King Charles Church from the Common, Tunbridge Wells||Private collection|
The Weald is at Database version 12.1 which has ongoing updates to the 376,323 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 242 books loaded in the previous version