The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
St. John's Church  St Johns Road  St Johns  Tunbridge Wells  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

42Christenings42
6Marriages42
0Burials
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 110

Historical records

1858Church of St JohnChurch of St John, Tunbridge Wells drawn by The Illustrated London NewsPrivate collection

ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, TUNBRIDGE WELLS.

The Conservative Land Society having purchased the beautiful estate of Woodbury Park, at Tunbridge Wells, the directors, following their usual practice on the allotment of an estate, set apart a site for the erection of a church. As the want of church accommodation in this favourite and still-growing watering-place was much felt, a local committee gladly availed themselves of the proffered site, with the addition of one for a parsonage, as a free gift from the society. Principally through the exertions of the Rev. E. Hoare, Incumbent of Trinity Church (brother to the London banker), a fund was provided, and the foundation-stone of St. John's-on-the-Lew laid in June last. The sacred edifice was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury last month.

Mr. A. Gough, of London, was the architect, whose elegant design will be seen in our Illustration. The building is cruciform, consisting of nave, transepts, and chancel, of brick and stone. The length is 82, width of nave 23.6, and across the transepts 48 feet. The height of the spire above the tower is 88 feet to the top of the vane. Externally the chief features are the windows, especially over the western entrance that one being of circular form, carved with tracery of a plain buoyant character. The roof in the interior is open, of oak-stained timbers. The church will accommodate nearly 500 persons, with capacity for further extension. Money is, still required to make up an endowment fund; but under the exertions of Mr. Hoare this, it is believed, will not be long wanting.

The Conservative Land Society, in their desire to minister to the spiritual wants as well as otherwise to improve the localities in which they purchase properties, have set apart church sites at St. Margaret's, Richmond, Reading, Forest-hill, and Maidstone, in addition to the one mentioned. The new church at Tunbridge Wells is the first monument of their liberality in this respect.


1896St. John's ChurchSt. John's Church, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1900St John's ChurchSt John's Church, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

c 1900View from St John's ChurchView from St John's Church, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Valentine's seriesPrivate collection

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page