The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
St. Peter and St. Paul Parish Church    Church Street  Wadhurst  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

648Christenings1553454575781141096054
916Marriages581827050781341881368102
104Burials1231331115141416831
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1766The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 256
1923The Story of Wadhurst by Alfred A. Wace ⇒ p. 19

Historical records

1253Historythe ChurchWace's Wadhurst
Mediaeval records help in reconstructing a picture of the Church and its surroundings in former days. It was in the churchyard in the first place that fairs were generally held, and the slope on which the Church stands was probably in the Middle Ages covered every year by the booths and wares collected in fair-time under its shadow, by right of the grant made by Pope Boniface to, the Archbishop in 1253, for a weekly market on Saturday and a fair on the feast of SS. Peter and Paul, to whom the Church is dedicated.

1631HistorySt. Peter and St. Paul Parish ChurchWace's Wadhurst
The shingled spire 128 feet high - a more common feature in the forest tracts of Sussex and Kent than where suitable wood is scarcer - has been struck by lightning six times, viz., 1575, 1595, 1631, 1650, 1850, and about 1873, when the lightning caused a fissure, still to be seen in the wall of the stairs of the priest's chamber. The worst storm was that of 1631, when "the Church was rent and blown up in a fearful manner." The damage then done led to restorations thorough enough to serve for about two centuries - though the work was done when English architecture was not at its best.

c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveySt Peter and St Paul Parish Church

1903Church InteriorChurch Interior, Wadhurst photographed by Francis FrithBrian and Cynthia Bell's photographs

1905Parish ChurchParish Church, WadhurstPrivate collection

1910Old Cottages & ChurchOld Cottages & Church, WadhurstPrivate collection

1910The Parish ChurchThe Parish Church, WadhurstPrivate collection

1911HistorySt. Peter and St. Paul Parish ChurchWace's Wadhurst
The disaster of 1911 alluded to above has led to a different development. A fire started in the caretaker's corner of the old vestry under the belfry, which might have been even more disastrous than the storm of 1631 had it started in the night. As it was it did so much harm that it was made the occasion for a much-needed improvement. The oak partition between Nave and Tower, the door of the ringing chamber and other woodwork in the vestry, all of which had been damaged, were removed; the floor space of the tower was thrown into the nave; and a new vestry was built at a cost of £823, planned by Glanville Streatfeild. … This addition is worthy of the old Church and more fit to guard its treasures, its records and traditions.

1915The ChurchThe Church, WadhurstPrivate collection

c 1920Wadhurst ChurchWadhurst ChurchPrivate collection

17th Dec 1923HistorySt. Peter and St. Paul Parish ChurchWace's Wadhurst
IN MEMORIAM
In the years 1914-18 a new and grievous experience came upon Wadhurst and all English villages. … The following is the Roll of Honour of the men whose lives were sacrificed in obedience to that call. Others offered themselves with similar devotion and served in the War. But these are the names of those whose devotion received the honour of death. Their sacrifice is recorded on two tablets below a Memorial Window in the Parish Church - a private gift - and on a conspicuous Cross at the entrance to the town; and all Wadhurst men, women and children, will henceforth be reminded, day by day, of the self-sacrifice by which alone their homes and their Country can be defended.
Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.4 - 8th March 2014 and contains information on 370,214 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 226 books © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives