The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Eridge Park    Eridge Green  Eridge  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1766The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 6
1835The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex by Thomas Walker Horsfield, F.S.A.p. 402
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 151
1870A Compendious History of Sussex - Volume I. by Mark Antony Lower, M.A.p. 191
1885Cobbett's Rural Rides by William Cobbett ⇒ p. 285
1904Highways and Byways in Sussex by E.V. Lucas ⇒ p. 393
1909English Homes and Villages (Kent & Sussex)
also published as
Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Lady Hope ⇒ p. 4
1927The Sussex Highlands ⇒ p. 38
1928Rotherfield - The Story of some Wealden Manors by Catharine Pulleinp. 43; p. 90; p. 91; p. 278
1931Wealden Iron by Ernest Straker ⇒ p. 257
1933The Story of Crowbrough ⇒ p. 10
1947Frant - A Parish History by Henry S. Eeles ⇒ p. 146

Places in Eridge Park
Birch Pavillion
Eridge Castle [als Eridge House, Eridge Place]
Eridge Lodge
Forest Gate
Frant Bottom Lodge
Frant Lodge
Porters Lodge
Richardsons Lodge
Stone Lodge
Washing Stool Lodge
Whitehill [als Whitehall] Lodge
Historical records

1296HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
…. a list of lands left in 1296 by the 7th Earl of Hertford, which contains the earliest reference to Eridge that can be discovered.
Eregge. A grange pertaining to the Manor aforesaid [Rotherfield] with 100 acres of land worth yearly 25s, 100 acres of heather and fern there worth of the year 9s 2d; also fixed rents worth 8s 9d and a water mill

1344HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
This was the hunting park, for which the Hundred of Rotherfield had been famous for generations and which in 1344, was described as follows:
A chace containing 600 acres of which the pasture is worth by the year 25s … a wood containing above 200 acres … within the said chace is a messuage called Erugge

1450HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
The next landmark in the history of Eridge was its inheritance in 1450 by the [Nevill] family who have continued to own it in the male line from that date until the present …

1573HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
In 1573 Lord Burgavenny had the honour of entertaining Queen Elizabeth at Eridge Place, and her six day stay there must have caused a great stir in the neighbourhood.

1574HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
In Eridge Park there were in close proximity a furnace and a forge. The earliest evidence of their existence is to be found in a list of owners of ironworks drawn up in 1574

1590HistoryEridge ParkPullein's Rotherfield
Manor of Eridge with the capital mansion and park there
  • The farm of divers demesne lands there called Inhams containing by estimation 60 acres, being formerly in the hands and occupation of the lord, now let to Henry Nevill, esq for £11 0s 0d yearly
  • The farm of certain meadow there, part of the land Inhams of 6 acres let to Edward Nevill, esq., eldest son of the lord for £1 8s 0d yearly
  • The farm of divers demesne land there called Hamsell Woods, Lambe pasture and Horse pastures of 110 acres to Thomas Weston for £13 0s 0d yearly
  • The farm of a certain water mill situate within the park of Eridge so let to the said Thomas Weston for £13 0s 0d yearly
  • The farm of certain other lands, woods, meadows and pastures called Laggerslande and Highdeane of 50 acres let to Robert Woody for £10 0s 0d yearly
  • The farm of certain other lands there called Steelebridge meade and Slaughterhouse field of 16 acres let to Oliver Booby for £4 0s 0d yearly
  • The farm of a cottage and two crofts of land of 2 1/2 acres adjacent to Christopher Mudge for £4 0s 0d yearly
  • Farm of certain land called Pickstorckes and Hayfield of 10 acres to Nicholas Turner for £2 0s 0d
  • Farm of 3 1/2 acres of meadow lying near le horse meadow near le fordge to Oliver Booby for £2 0s 0d
  • Price of 1000 loads of marl dug in the wastes of this manor and sold to George Hosmer for 13s 4d

c 1604HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
Shortly after Edward Nevill succeeded to the family estates, Eridge was formed into a separate Manor …. since the Lord of the Manor had taken up residence there

1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedEridge ParkJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.

1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenEridge ParkRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.

1724HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
William succeeded as 16th Baron in 1724 …… relinquished Eridge as the family seat having acquired Kidbrooke Park at Forest Row, and gradually the former house fell into a state of decay

c 1724Eridge, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenEridge Park

1750SussexSussex by Thomas KitchinEridge ParkThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.

1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinEridge ParkThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.

1766HistoryEridge ParkBurr's Tunbridge Wells

Eridge was then [1606] a hunting seat belonging to Lord Abergavenny, and has ever since continued in the possession of his noble descendants, though it is now reduced to a plain farmhouse. The building is an ancient Gothic structure, that appears, notwithstanding its present ruinous condition, to have been an agreeable retirement from the attendance at court. The situation is in the highest degree romantic, the gardens were elegantly disposed in the taste of that age, the soil is dry, the air pure and healthful, and no country can afford finer riding; so that, on the whole, one can hardly conceive an idea of a place more properly adapted to restore health to a consumptive habit: but then, to couterbalance these advantages, it was situated in one of the most savage parts of the county of Sussex, and, by its distance from all neighbourhood, secluded its inhabitants from all intercourse with the rest of mankind.


1785Eridge HouseEridge House, Eridge by Samuel Grimm and James Lambert (The Burrell Collection)Eridge ParkThe Burrell Collection
Samuel Hieronymous Grimm (1733-1794), artist, was born in Switzerland, studied in Berne and Paris before moving to Covent Garden, London in 1768. Besides his work as a commercial engraver and watercolour painter he is best known for some 2,500 commissioned watercolurs of antiquities, historic buildings and landscapes in the British Library (MSS 15537-48). Throughout the 1780s he toured Sussex, sketching churches, monuments, castles, abbeys and houses of the gentry
James Lambert, senior, (1725-1788) and his nephew James Lambert, junior, (1744-1799) were both landscape painters living in Lewes, Sussex. Between them they produced over 600 items, ranging from pencil sketches to large oils.
William Burrell (1732-96), antiquary, was born in Leadenhall Street, London, educated at Westminster School and Cambridge University. He became Chancellor of Worcester and Rochester Dioceses, M.P. for Haslemere and a Commissioner of Excise. From 1780 he employed Samuel Grimm and the Lamberts to make drawings of all the notable antiquities and important houses in Sussex, which he bequeathed to the British Museum in his will.
for more information refer to Sussex Views by Walter H. Godfrey and L.F. Salzman and Sussex Depicted by John Farrant, both published by the Sussex Record Society.

1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryEridge ParkJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham

1790HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
Guns were undoubtedly cast at Eridge Furnace and in the 18th century one of these stood outside the Gun Inn at Eridge Green and … in a journal in 1790 the following account appears
"(it) now lies at Eridge Green and has served for many years for the amusement of the people on a holiday or fair-day, when they collect money to buy gunpowder to threw the shell to a hill about a mile distant. The weight of the shell sinks so deep into the earth, that is costs no little pains to dig it out after each discharge, which is repeated as long as the money lasts."

c 1795Eridge, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamEridge Park

c 1795Frant, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamEridge Park

c 1800HistoryEridge ParkEeles' Frant
Henry, the 2nd Earl, who … set on foot plans to erect a new house round the remains of the old. The architect … was James Wyatt … one of the principal creators of the revival of interest in the Gothic form of architecture. In the house he built for Lord Abergavenny he included all the features associated with that style; the towers, the battlements and the pinnacles outside and an infinity of detail in the interior decorations with more than a flavour of ecclesiastical influence.

1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperEridge ParkG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.

1809Eridge CastleEridge Castle, Eridge by Paul Amsinck & engraved by Letitia ByrneEridge ParkAmsinck's Tunbridge Wells

1809Eridge CastleEridge Castle, Eridge by Paul Amsinck & engraved by Letitia ByrneEridge ParkAmsinck's Tunbridge Wells

31st Aug 1823Diary entryparkCobbett's Rural Rides
Here I am after a most delightful ride of twenty-four miles through Frant, Lamberhurst, Goudhurst, Milkhouse-Street, Benenden, and Rolvenden. By making a great stir in rousing waiters and "boots" and maids, and by leaving behind me the name of "a - noisy, troublesome fellow," I got clear of "the Wells," and out of the contagion of its Wen-engendered inhabitants, time enough to meet the first rays of the sun, on the hill that you come up in order to get to Frant, which is a most beautiful little village at about two miles from "the Wells." Here the land belongs, I suppose, to Lord Abergavenny, who has a mansion and park here. A very pretty place, and kept, seemingly, in very nice order. I saw here what I never saw before : the bloom of the common heath we wholly overlook ; but, it is a very pretty thing; and here, when the plantations were made, and as they grew up, heath was left to grow on the sides of the roads in the plantations. The heath is not so much of a dwarf as we suppose. This is four feet high; and, being in full bloom, it makes the prettiest border that can be imagined. This place of Lord Abergavenny is, altogether, a very pretty place; and, so far from grudging him the possession of it, I should feel pleasure at seeing it in his possession, and should pray God to preserve it to him, and from the unholy and ruthless touch of the Jews and jobbers; but, I cannot forget this Lord's sinecure!

c 1825Eridge, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodEridge Park

1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleEridge ParkThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837

1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonEridge ParkDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated

6th Jun 1841CensusJames Grinham, M, Head, age 30 to 34, born Sussex; occupation: gamekeeperJames Grinham, gamekeeperEridge Park1841 Census
Rotherfield, Sussex
6th Jun 1841CensusEliza Grinham, F, [Wife], age 35 to 39, born SussexEliza Grinham
6th Jun 1841CensusJames Grinham, M, [Son], age 9, born SussexJames Grinham
6th Jun 1841CensusAnn Grinham, F, [Daughter], age 5, born SussexAnn Grinham

20th Sep 1849Eridge CastleEridge Castle, Eridge by Rock & Co., LondonPrivate collection

30th Mar 1851CensusHead; occupation: park keeperFrederic Hickmott, park keeperEridge Park1851 Census
Frant, Sussex
30th Mar 1851CensusWifeMary Hickmott
30th Mar 1851CensusDaughter; occupation: scholarLois Hickmott
30th Mar 1851CensusDaughter; occupation: scholarMary Hickmott
30th Mar 1851CensusDaughterJ. Hickmott

1867Directory entryEridge ParkPost Office Directory
On the confines of Eridge Park, in this parish, there are traces of an old English camp called Saxonbury Hill. Eridge Castle, an ancient seat of the Nevills, is in the form of a quadrangle, surrounded by an extensive park, and is one of the seats of the Earl of Abergavenny, who is the present head and representative of that family: Queen Elizabeth was entertained here for six days.

2nd Apr 1871CensusJohn Adams, M, Head, married, age 34, born Silverstone, Northamptonshire; occupation: charcoal burnerJohn Adams, charcoal burnerHut In Eridge Park1871 Census
Frant and Tunbridge Wells, Sussex
2nd Apr 1871CensusEsther Adams, F, Wife, married, age 30, born Silverstone, NorthamptonshireEsther Adams
2nd Apr 1871CensusClara A T Adams, F, Daughter, age 12, born Silverstone, NorthamptonshireClara A. T. Adams
2nd Apr 1871CensusEliza H M Adams, F, Daughter, age 10, born Silverstone, NorthamptonshireEliza H. M. Adams
2nd Apr 1871CensusAda K Adams, F, Daughter, age 7, born Bugbrook, NorthamptonshireAda K. Adams
2nd Apr 1871CensusArthur Adams, M, Son, age 3, born Silverstone, NorthamptonshireArthur Adams
2nd Apr 1871CensusHarriett A Adams, F, Daughter, age 10m, born Silverstone, NorthamptonshireHarriett A. Adams
2nd Apr 1871CensusThomas Gale, M, Lodger, single, age 19, born Dorking, Surrey; occupation: charcoal burner's labourerThomas Gale

2nd Apr 1871CensusWilliam Roffey, M, Head, widowed, age 55, born Worth, Sussex; occupation: charcoal burnerWilliam Roffey, charcoal burnerHut In Eridge Park1871 Census
Frant and Tunbridge Wells, Sussex

2nd Apr 1871CensusDavid Hickmott, M, Head, married, age 72, born Lamberhurst, Kent; occupation: deer keeperDavid Hickmott, deer keeperPark Cottage1871 Census
Frant and Tunbridge Wells, Sussex
2nd Apr 1871CensusSarah Ann Hickmott, F, Wife, married, age 63, born Frant, SussexSarah Ann Hickmott
2nd Apr 1871CensusHephzibah Hickmott, F, Daughter, single, age 29, born Frant, SussexHephzibah Hickmott

2nd Apr 1871CensusDavid Dawn, M, Head, widowed, age 73, born Mayfield, Sussex; occupation: farm labourerDavid Dawn, farm labourerPark Cottage1871 Census
Frant and Tunbridge Wells, Sussex
2nd Apr 1871CensusCatherine Woodhams, F, Granddaughter, age 9, born Frant, Sussex; occupation: scholarCatherine Woodhams
2nd Apr 1871CensusAnn Gibbs, F, Servant, single, age 38, born Capel, Kent; occupation: housekeeperAnn Gibbs

2nd Apr 1871CensusGeorge Sales, M, Head, married, age 42, born Frant, Sussex; occupation: carpenterGeorge Sales, carpenterFrant Lodge1871 Census
Frant and Tunbridge Wells, Sussex
2nd Apr 1871CensusElizabeth H Sales, F, Wife, married, age 38, born Mayfield, Sussex; occupation: gate keeperElizabeth H. Sales
2nd Apr 1871CensusMary A Sales, F, Daughter, age 9, born Frant, Sussex; occupation: scholarMary A. Sales
2nd Apr 1871CensusHelen Sales, F, Daughter, age 7, born Frant, Sussex; occupation: scholarHelen Sales

2nd Apr 1871CensusAlfred Edser, M, Head, single, age 43, born Abinger, Surrey; occupation: charcoal burnerAlfred Edser, charcoal burnerHut In Eridge Park1871 Census
Frant and Tunbridge Wells, Sussex

c 1875Eridge Green, Eridge Park, Eridge Castle, & The Forstal, Eridge - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyEridge Park

3rd Apr 1881CensusFredrick Hickmott, M, Head, married, age 72, born Lamberhurst; occupation: park keeperFrederic Hickmott, park keeperKeepers Cottage, Eridge Park1881 Census
Frant, Sussex
3rd Apr 1881CensusMary Hickmott, F, Wife, married, age 67, born RotherfieldMary Hickmott
3rd Apr 1881CensusMary Hickmott, F, Daughter, single, age 39, born FrantMary Hickmott
3rd Apr 1881CensusHarry Hickmott, M, Son, single, age 29, born Frant; occupation: park keeperHarry Hickmott

3rd Apr 1881CensusGeorge Batchelor, M, Head, married, age 36, born Hartfield, occupation: farm labourerGeorge BatchelorNo 2 Keepers Cottage, Eridge Park1881 Census
Frant, Sussex
3rd Apr 1881CensusSarah Batchelor, F, Wife, married, age 41, born RotherfieldSarah Ann Batchelor [Fry]
3rd Apr 1881CensusGeorge Batchelor, M, Son, age 10, born Frant, occupation: scholarGeorge Batchelor
3rd Apr 1881CensusJohn Batchelor, M, Son, age 7, born Frant, occupation: scholarJohn Batchelor
3rd Apr 1881CensusHarriett Batchelor, F, Daughter, age 3, born FrantHarriett Batchelor

3rd Apr 1881CensusFredrick Martin, M, Head, married, age 35, born Rotherfield; occupation Farm labourerFredrick MartinBirch Pavillion1881 Census
Frant, Sussex
3rd Apr 1881CensusHarriett Martin, F, Wife, married, age 40, born RotherfieldHarriett Martin
3rd Apr 1881CensusEmma Martin, F, Daughter, age 9, born Frant; occupation ScholarEmma Martin
3rd Apr 1881CensusFredrick Martin, M, Son, age 6, born Frant; occupation ScholarFredrick Martin
3rd Apr 1881CensusHenry Martin, M, Son, age 1, born FrantHenry Martin
3rd Apr 1881CensusElizebeth Moon, F, Niece, age 9, born Rotherfield; occupation: scholarElizebeth Moon

1889Eridge CastleEridge Castle by Charles Reynolds & Co.Eridge ParkPrivate collection

1896Eridge CastleEridge CastleEridge ParkPrivate collection

1896Eridge RocksEridge RocksPrivate collection

c 1899Eridge Park, Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyEridge Park

c 1900Eridge CastleEridge Castle photographed by Photochrom Co., LtdEridge ParkPrivate collection

c 1900Eridge CastleEridge Castle photographed by J. Frisby, UckfieldEridge ParkPrivate collection

c 1900Eridge CastleEridge CastleEridge ParkPrivate collection

c 1900Eridge CastleEridge Castle photographed by Valentine's seriesEridge ParkPrivate collection

1905Eridge CastleEridge CastleEridge ParkPrivate collection

1930Eridge Park & CastleEridge Park & CastleEridge ParkPrivate collection
Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.6 which has ongoing updates to the 370,382 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 227 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives