The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Calverley Park      Tunbridge Wells  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1830Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 51
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 53
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 84

Places in Calverley Park
Baston Cottage
Baston Lodge
Calverley Hotel [als Mount Pleasant House, Hotel du Vin]
Calverley Park Gardens
Calverley Promenade
Calverley Terrace
Farnborough Lodge
Halls Hole Cottages
Keston Lodge
Nos 1 to 10
Nos 11 to 20
Nos 21 to 30
Historical records

1826 to 1839BuiltDesigned by Decimus BurtonCalverley Park

Decimus Burton was born on 30th September 1800 in the parish of St Pancras, London, and christened in Old Church, St Pancras on 18th July 1802, the tenth son of James Haliburton and his wife, Elizabeth (nee Westley). James Haliburton, later Burton, (1761-1837) was one of the most significant builders of Georgian London, responsible for large areas of Bloomsbury, as well as St. Johns Wood and Clapham Common and, in collaboration with John Nash, the development of Regents Park. In 1828 he started building a new seaside town at St. Leonards near Hastings based closely on his experiences at Regents Park. The first four children were christened Haliburton but from 1794 onwards the remaining six children were all christened as Burton. The fourth child, James Haliburton (1788 - 1862), was to have an eminent career as an Egyptologist. After the birth of their last child, Jesse, in 1804, the family moved to Mabledon, Quarry Hill, Tonbridge and Decimus Burton was educated at Tonbridge School followed by several years in the Royal Academy Schools in Somerset House where Sir John Soane was Professor of Architecture.

Through his father's connections, Decimus gained many early commisions in Regents Park in London (including the family residence at The Holme) before gaining the design for his first major public building at the Colosseum in 1823, followed by the Ionic Screen at Hyde Park Corner in 1825, the Wellington Arch at Hyde Park Corner in 1826, Cornwall Terrace in Regents Park, the Athenaeum Club in Pall Mall and Trinity Church, Tunbridge Wells in 1827, Charing Cross Hospital in 1831, Fleetwood, Lancashire in 1836, and, later in 1846, The Palm House at Kew. In 1850 Decimus began the second phase of building at St Leonards on Sea, originally, commenced by his father

In 1826, the 870 acreage Calverley Estate was acquired by John Ward J.P., M.P. (1776-1855). He commisioned Decimus Burton "to erect a number of edifices suitable to the reception of genteel families, and simultaneously with the larger buildings, a number of shops, etc in their immediate neighbourhood, so that residents upon the estate might enjoy the same advantages as those who lived nearer the Springs." By 1839 all the Calverley Park villas were complete and Decimus Burton had taken possesion of No 4. In that same year the Calverley House (previously Mount Pleasant House) had been extensively refurbished and extended by Decimus Burton. In the years that followed his commisions in Tunbridge Wells and the surrounding area were extensive and included The Grove at Penshurst, Burrswood at Groombridge, Bentham Hill and St Peters Church at Southborough, Hollands at Langton Green and St Marys Church at Riverhead.

In 1832 Decimus Burton was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society and he continued in practice until 1869. In his later years, he spent his time as a lifelong batchelor between his properties at Gloucester Gardens, Hyde Park and St Leonards in Sussex. He died on 14th December 1881 in his home in London and is buried at Kensal Green cemetery.

For more information about James and Decimus Burton see the Hastings Museum web site

See also


1829HistoryCalverley ParkColbran's Tunbridge Wells

[Starting in 1829] the most important alterations were commenced that the Wells had yet seen. These were made on the Calverley Estate which is the property of John Ward, Esq. of Holwood, in the County of Kent. This gentleman having purchased the Calverley and other considerable property adjoining it, … determined upon erecting a number of edifices suitable to the reception of genteel families; and simultaneously with the larger buildings, a number of shops, &c. in their immediate neighbourhood, so that the residents upon this estate might enjoy the same advantages as those who lived nearer the Springs. In the autumn of 1828, this extensive undertaking was commenced from the designs of Decimus Burton, Esq. the eminent Architect of Spring Garden, London; the Messrs. Bramah, of Pimlico, having taken the ground necessary for the purpose, on a building lease. As these buildings progressed, it was evident that a new town was springing up - villas, a terrace, a parade, rows of shops, &c. soon began to develope themselves, and advanced steadily to completion.

Calverley Park comprises 26 acres, adjoining to and overlooking 20 acres of meadow and pleasure grounds in front of the Hotel, and contains twenty-four villas, chiefly of the Italian and Grecian style of architecture. The elegant appearance of these buildings attracts attention and excites admiration; and the views from the Park are at once extensive, diversified, and beautiful; equal, if not superior, to any at the Wells.

At the north west side of the park, is Calverley Promenade, built in the form of a crescent. This row of buildings (seventeen in number) was originally intended for shops, but within the last two years several of them have been converted into dwelling-houses. At one end of the promenade there are Shampooing and Vapour Baths; in the centre, a Library, Reading Room, &c., opposite to which is a Fountain, and beyond that a temporary Orchestra has been erected, where, in the season, a band is stationed to amuse the company. Immediately adjacent to the promenade is the Calverley Hotel, which has been recently finished; the accommodations here are of the first-rate description, and the situation in which it is placed, commanding as it does an uninterrupted view over delightful scenery, renders it one of the most charming spots in the country.

On the opposite side of the road from the Hotel is Calverley Terrace, consisting of four double Villas with pleasure grounds in front and gardens behind, communicating with the stables, coach-houses, &c. Calverley Parade, immediately adjoining, is a range of twelve houses (which were the first built) on a similar scale to those of the terrace, but smaller; and at the back of these are the Calverley Mews, which afford extensive accommodation for horses and carriages, independent of those which are attached to the houses on the terrace and parade. A short distance from the latter, is an excellent Commercial and Family Hotel, called the Camden; next to which is a Market House, one of the most elegant buildings in Tunbridge Wells. … On a line with this is Calverley Place consisting of twelve houses and shops


1831Tunbridge Wells and Calverley from the Frant RoadTunbridge Wells and Calverley from the Frant Road by T. H. ClarkeSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Farnborough Lodge, Calverley ParkFarnborough Lodge, Calverley Park, Tunbridge Wells by T. H. ClarkeSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Villas in Claverley ParkVillas in Claverley Park, Tunbridge Wells by T. H. ClarkeSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Victoria GateVictoria Gate, Tunbridge Wells by T. H. ClarkeSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Villa in Claverley ParkVilla in Claverley Park, Tunbridge WellsSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Villa in Claverley ParkVilla in Claverley Park, Tunbridge WellsSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Villa in Claverley ParkVilla in Claverley Park, Tunbridge WellsSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Villa in Claverley ParkVilla in Claverley Park, Tunbridge WellsSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Church and Calverley ParadeChurch and Calverley Parade, Tunbridge Wells by J.J. DoddCalverley ParkSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1833Calverley ParkCalverley Park, Tunbridge Wells by W. Purser & B. WallisPrivate collection

1839Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsCalverley ParkColbran's Tunbridge Wells

1840Calverley HotelCalverley Hotel, Tunbridge WellsCalverley ParkColbran's Tunbridge Wells

1840Calverley PromenadeCalverley Promenade, Tunbridge WellsCalverley ParkColbran's Tunbridge Wells

1st Jul 1859Horticultural FeteHorticultural Fete, Tunbridge WellsCalverley ParkPrivate collection

A grand horticultural fete was held at Tunbridge Wells, in the grounds adjoining the Calverley Hotel, on Friday, July 1, 1859 which was honoured by the presence of the Countess de Neuilly, the Duke de Nemours, the Count d'Eu, and suite. They were conducted from the Calverley Hotel, at which they have been staying for some days, by the Hon F. G. Molyneux and other members of the committee; and, on their arrival at the entrance to the grounds, the Countess, and each of the ladies of her suite, was presented with an elegant bouquet by Mrs. George Goldney, the wife of the Rev. G. Goldney, one of the members of the committee. We will follow the noble party in their tour through the tents.

The first entered was that devoted to the productions of cottagers' gardens, where the fruits and vegetables exhibited by W. Brown, of Southborough, attracted much notice. The next tent was filled with cut flowers. Here the collection of roses shown by Mr. Hollamby, of the Strawberry Hill Nursery, near Tunbridge Wells, was most splendid; nor should we omit to notice that of Mr. Mitchell, of Tower Nursery, near Heathfield, or a box of cut verbenas exhibited by Mr. Foreman, gardener to the Rev. G. Goldney, which was deservedly commended. Among the fruit (which, however, was decidedly poor considering the liberal prizes offered) were some very fine grapes, grown by Mr. Powell, gardener to Dr. S. Newington, and a fair collection of six dishes of fruit from Eridge Castle, exhibited by Mr. Ogle, gardener to the Earl of Abergavenny. The collection of stove and greenhouse plants in this tent contained some very fine ericas, shown by Mr. Gilbert, gardener to E. L. Mackmurdo, Esq., of Hastings, and some gloxineas from the gardener of H. Reed, Esq., of extraordinary growth, also a fine collection of British and exotic ferns, grown by Mr. Maxted, gardener to J. Field, Esq. Beyond this were some splendid plants, exhibited by Mr. Gilbert, which obtained the first prize, among which were conspicuous Aphelexis sesamoides Barnsii, Rhyncospernum jasminoides, and Alamanda cathartica. Mr. Pring, gardener to Henry Reed, Esq., had many fine plants: two noble vincas, the rare and beautiful plant Cyanophyllum magnificum, Cissus discolor in great beauty, an immense plant of Coleus Blumei, Caladium bicolor, and C. distillatoria with leaves of enormous size, and a very fine Araucaria excelsa. Messrs. Rycroft and Wells, gardeners to Alderman Salomons, M.P., had a Medinella magnifica which eminently deserved its name; five or six achimenes highly commended by the judges, and many other very well-grown plants; and Mr. Drummond, gardener to J. Scott Smith, Esc., Phoenicoma prolifera Barns -, a very well-flowered Statice Holfordii, and Roella Ciliatra. The pelargoniums, though past their best, were very beautiful, Mr. Gilbert obtaining the first prize for six shows, and Mr. Pring for six fancy varieties.

The band of the Royal Artillery, consisting of fifty performers, under the able superintendence of Mr. Smith, was in attendance, and played some beautiful pieces. There could not have been less than live thousand visitors in the grounds during the day.


18th Jul 1860Calverley Park CrescentCalverley Park Crescent, Tunbridge Wells by Rock & Co., LondonCalverley ParkPrivate collection

18th Jul 1860Calverley HotelCalverley Hotel, Tunbridge Wells by Rock & Co., LondonCalverley ParkPrivate collection

1880Calverley Hotel, overlooking Calverley ParkCalverley Hotel, overlooking Calverley Park, Tunbridge WellsCalverley ParkPelton's Tunbridge Wells

3rd Apr 1881CensusAlfred Moon, M, Head, married, age 66, born Mayfield, Sussex; occupation: park keeperAlfred Moon, park keeperCalverley Park Lodge1881 Census
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
3rd Apr 1881CensusElizabeth Moon, F, Wife, married, age 50, born WiltshireElizabeth Moon

3rd Apr 1881CensusMary Ann Joyce, F, Head, widowed, age 60, born Withyham, Sussex; occupation: dressmakerMary Ann Joyce, dressmakerCalverley Park Lodge1881 Census
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
3rd Apr 1881CensusJames Joyce, M, Son, single, age 35, born T Wells, Kent; occupation: joinerJames Joyce
3rd Apr 1881CensusEmma Joyce, F, Daughter, single, age 41, born T Wells, Kent; occupation: joinerEmma Joyce
3rd Apr 1881CensusAlice Joyce, F, Granddaughter, age 13, born T Wells, Kent; occupation: scholarAlice Joyce
3rd Apr 1881CensusThomas Smith, M, Grandson, age 3, born T Wells, Kent; occupation: scholarThomas Smith
3rd Apr 1881CensusSidney Smith, M, Grandson, age 4 m, born T Wells, KentSidney Smith

3rd Apr 1881CensusGeorge Saunders, M, Head, married, age 66, born Frantfield, Sussex; occupation LabourerGeorge SaundersCalverley Park Lodge1881 Census
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
3rd Apr 1881CensusHannah Saunders, F, Wife, married, age 61, born Withyham, SussexHannah Saunders
3rd Apr 1881CensusRosina Saunders, F, Daughter, single, age 18, born Ashurst, KentRosina Saunders
3rd Apr 1881CensusBlanch Mundy, F, Visitor, age 7, born Isle of Wight, Hampshire; occupation ScholarBlanch Mundy

1889Calverley ParkCalverley Park, Tunbridge Wells by Charles Reynolds & Co.Private collection

1929Rose Garden, Calverley GroundsRose Garden, Calverley Grounds, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1930Band Pavilion, Calverley GroundsBand Pavilion, Calverley Grounds, Tunbridge Wells photographed by E. A. Sweetman & Son Ltd, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

c 1935The Calverley GroundsThe Calverley Grounds, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

c 1935In Calverley GardensIn Calverley Gardens, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Lansdowne Production Co.Private collection
The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives