The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Seal
This parish of Seal has, in the upper part of it, much waste ground in it, which is a dreary barren land, consisting in this and the adjoining parishes eastward, of several hundred acres, being in general covered with heath and furze, with some scrubby wood interspersed among the hills, which are high, and some of them of large extent; the soil in the middle part of the parish is Kentish rock stone, and below that very rich and fertile. It is computed to contain about three thousand acres of land. The high road from Westerham, over Wrotham heath, to Maidstone, leads across this parish; on which, near the eastern boundary of it, is the village of Seale, having the church on the north side of it; and near the western boundary, on the same road, is a large hamlet, called Seale Chart, about half a mile northward of which is the old seat of Stonepit; and about as far on the other side that of Diggin's, now called the Grove, the residence of Mrs. Harding, widow of Nicholas Harding, esq. and sister to the late Charles Earl Camden; beyond which is Hall-place, situated among the coppice woods, where there are the several commons of Godding-green, Falk-common, and Beechet-green; the parish extending here with a nook southward, as far as Under River. The parish of Sevenoke comes up as far as the grounds of Wilderness, which is situated only a small distance southward of Seale village, and likewise bounds it towards the west. There is a fair held here on June 6, for pedlary and toys.
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1797

Books and other documents
Published Title, author and references
1797The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume III by Edward Hastedp. 51
1839Directory of Kent, Surrey & Sussex ⇒ entry
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 376
1882Kelly's Directory of Kent by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1914Highways and Byways in Kent by Walter Jerrold with Illustrations by Hugh Thomson ⇒ p. 358

Pictures 

Wildernesse Avenue - 1906

Church Street - 1907

The Street - 1907

Wildernesse - 1909

Wildernesse - 1909

Seal Church - c 1920
 

Places in Seal
St. Peter's Church
Historical records
No historical records
Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.5 - 1st May 2014 and contains information on 370,382 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 227 books © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives