The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Mereworth
Mereworth, usually called Merrud. In Domesday it is written Marourde, and in the Textus Roffenfis, MAERUURTHA, and MERANWYRTHE.
The parish of Mereworth is within the district of the Weald, being situated southward of the quarry hills. It is exceedingly pleasant, as well from its natural situation, as from the buildings, avenues, and other ornamental improvements made throughout it by the late Earl of Westmoreland, nor do those made at Yokes by the late Mr. Master contribute a little to the continued beauty of this scene. The turnpike road crosses this parish through the vale from Maidstone, towards Hadlow and Tunbridge, on each side of which is a fine avenue of oaks, with a low neatly cut quick hedge along the whole of it, which leaves an uninterrupted view over the house, park, and grounds of Lord le Despencer, the church, with its fine built spire, and the seat of Yokes, and beyond it an extensive country, along the valley to Tunbridge, making altogether a most beautiful and luxuriant prospect.
Mereworth house is situated in the park, which rises finely wooded behind it, at a small distance from the high road, having a fine sheet of water in the front of it, being formed from a part of a stream which rises at a small distance above Yokes, and dividing itself into two branches, one of them runs in front of Mereworth house as above mentioned, and from thence through Watringbury, towards the Medway at Bow-bridge; the other branch runs more southward to East Peckham, and thence into the Medway at a small diftance above Twiford bridge.
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1798

Parish & other records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

110Births11212141358
16Christenings2842
10Marriages22222
0Deaths
0Burials
 
Books and other documents
Published Title, author and references
1766The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 239
1797The Tunbridge Wells Guide by J. Sprange ⇒ p. 225
1798The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume V by Edward Hastedp. 70
1810Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Paul Amsinck and Letitia Byrnep. 53
1814An Historical, Topographical and Descriptive Account of the Weald of Kent by T. D. W. Dearnp. 165
1830Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 150
1839Directory of Kent, Surrey & Sussex ⇒ entry
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 337
1871A History of The Weald of Kent with an outline of the Early History of the County, Volume I. by Robert Furley, F.S.A.fishery p. 163; Domesday p. 225; Haimo the Sheriff p. 240; pannage p. 254
1874A History of The Weald of Kent with an outline of the History of the County to the present time, Volume II by Robert Furley, F.S.A.p. 108; p. 715; p. 743
1882Kelly's Directory of Kent by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 172
1909English Homes and Villages (Kent & Sussex)
also published as
Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Lady Hope ⇒ p. 280
1914Highways and Byways in Kent by Walter Jerrold with Illustrations by Hugh Thomson ⇒ p. 283

Pictures 

Mereworth - 1809

Mereworth Castle - 1826

Mereworth Castle - 1911

Yotes Court - c 1920

Mereworth Castle - a Palladian villa built by John Fane in 1720-30 - c 1930

La Rotonda - c 1930

Mereworth Castle - Colin Campbells English version of Palladios Rotonda - c 1930
 

Mereworth Castle - ceiling of the shell room - c 1930

Mereworth Castle - fresco painting in the loggia - c 1930

Mereworth Castle - the central domed hall - c 1930

Mereworth Castle - the long gallery - c 1930

Mereworth Castle - 1962
 

Places and properties in Mereworth - a directory of homes, farms, churches, schools, inns, and other places of interest that existed prior to 1900 has been compiled from Post Office directories, Kelly's directories, Trade directories, Census data, Ordnance survey maps and books of the period
Churches, Inns,
Schools, Shops
and other places of interest
St. Laurence's Church
 
Roads and Streets
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
A-L
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
M-Z
Mereworth House

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page