The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Pembury
The Parish of Pembury, though of small breadth, extends the length of four miles from north to south, that is from Tudeley to the stream at Frant, which separates this county from that of Sussex, the surface of it consists of various hill and dale. The whole has a very woody appearance, and the outer parts every way, excepting towards Tudeley, are greatly covered with coppice woods and quantities of large spreading oaks throughout them; the soil consists on the higher grounds, especially towards the west and south, of sand, and much of the rock stone underneath; and in the valleys mostly of clay, and having plenty of marle for manure, it produces good corn, and the land is of course well let. It is watered by several little streams which rise here, and run either towards the north into the Medway, opposite to Hadlow, or southward towards the stream which separates the two counties, and runs by Beyham-abbey towards Lamberhurst.
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1798

Parish & other records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

1147Births21171214434651613123601193322
220Christenings1042041294341311
152Marriages625844142422
18Deaths131131233
8Burials22112
 
Books and other documents
Published Title, author and references
1798The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume V by Edward Hastedp. 260
1814An Historical, Topographical and Descriptive Account of the Weald of Kent by T. D. W. Dearnp. 185
1839Directory of Kent, Surrey & Sussex ⇒ entry
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 202
1874A History of The Weald of Kent with an outline of the History of the County to the present time, Volume II by Robert Furley, F.S.A.p. 16
1882Kelly's Directory of Kent by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry

Pictures 

St Peters Church - 1904

Lower Green & Institute - 1905

High Street - 1906

Camden Hotel & The Green - 1906

Old House, Bayhall - 1910

High Street - c 1920

The Old Mill House, Hawkwell - 1930
 

B Block, Pembury Hospital - 1950
 

Places and properties in Pembury - a directory of homes, farms, churches, schools, inns, and other places of interest that existed prior to 1900 has been compiled from Post Office directories, Kelly's directories, Trade directories, Census data, Ordnance survey maps and books of the period
Churches, Inns,
Schools, Shops
and other places of interest
Bayhall
St. Peter's Church
 
Roads and Streets
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
A-L
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
M-Z
Pembury Hospital

The Weald is at  Database version 12.2 which has ongoing updates to the 378,316 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 242 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page