The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Teston
Teston is vulgarly called Teeson. In the book of Domeday it is written TESTAN, and in the Textus Roffensis, TERSTANA.
This parish is a borough, and has a court leet of itself; where the borsholder is chosen, and the inhabitants of it owe no service to the court leet holden for the hundred of Twyford; but a constable for that hundred may be chosen there out of this borough.
TESTON is beautifully situated on the side of a hill, declining southward towards the river Medway, which is its southern boundary opposite to West Farleigh. The soil is in general a fertile loam, covering the quarry rock, which at the same time that it is dry and healthy, is exceeding kindly for corn, fruit and hop plantations. The high road from .Maidstone towards Watringbury and Tunbridge, leads along the lower part of this parish, between which and the river the neat kept grass lands, separated from the road by a handsome white railed fence, have a very, pleasing effect. Hence the road branches off, to the right to Ofham and Town Mailing, and to the left to Cocks heath, Yalding, and the Weald, across the river, over which there is here a lofty stone bridge of seven arches, which, notwithstanding its height, is frequently rendered impassable from the sudden overflowings of the river, which here at times frequently rises near eighteen feet above its usual surface, in the space of twenty-four hours, and as quickly falls again, unless it is again augmented by repeated rains. Teston park pales adjoin the northern side of the Maidstone road, hence the park rises to Teston-house, which being of white stucco, is a conspicuous object to the neighbouring country, and with the adjoining grounds, some years since, were greatly ornamented and laid out in the modern taste by Mrs. Bouverie; at the back of the house the ground keeps rising, and the park which is well covered with fine large trees, as well as modern plantations of various sorts, extends to the woods, which are remarkably well filled with large oak trees, and to East Malling heath, but in these parts it is more wet and deeper soil, and less fertile than the more southern parts of this parish
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1798

Parish & other records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

14Births121271
3Christenings12
2Marriages2
1Deaths1
1Burials1
 
Books and other documents
Published Title, author and references
1798The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume V by Edward Hastedp. 126
1882Kelly's Directory of Kent by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1914Highways and Byways in Kent by Walter Jerrold with Illustrations by Hugh Thomson ⇒ p. 283

Pictures 

Teston Bridge and Halt - 1916

Teston Lock - 1919
 

Places and properties in Teston - a directory of homes, farms, churches, schools, inns, and other places of interest that existed prior to 1900 has been compiled from Post Office directories, Kelly's directories, Trade directories, Census data, Ordnance survey maps and books of the period
Churches, Inns,
Schools, Shops
and other places of interest
St. Peter and St Paul
 
Roads and Streets
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
A-L
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
M-Z
No entries

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page