The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Historical notes about Hartfield
1597Common landHartfeild GreneBuckhurst Terrier
Comons: there is within the p'cincts thereof one parcel of wast ground called Hartfeild Grene, 5 acres and one parcel called Balles Greene, 1 acre
c 1597Hartfeild, Withyham, and Buckhurst Parck, The Manor of Buckhurst - c 1597Part of the maps produced in 1597 in the Buckhurst TerrierHartfield
1597 to 1598HistoryHartfieldBuckhurst Terrier
Sir John Sackville, who was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in the reign of Henry VIII, married Margaret Boleyn, the aunt of Queen Anne Boleyn, so that his son Richard was that queen’s first cousin. This Richard Sackville was a man of outstanding ability.......He grew very rich by dealings in land in many counties, often the former possessions of suppressed chantrys and of attainted noblemen, his name appears more frequently in the Close Rolls of that period than that of any other person ............ It was jestingly said of him that his name should be Fillsack, not Sackville. He acquired the lands of the Chantry of St. Marie in 1550, those of the Fraternity of St. Katherine probably at about the same time, Tablehurst in 1559, Imberhorne in 1560, and Alchorne in 1564............... The manor of Broome, which included the greater part of the village of Hartfield, was purchased some time after 1584. Collinghurst was also in his possession at the time of his death, April 21, 1564. His only son Thomas, born in 1536, was one of the most prominent men of his time. In his earlier years a poet, he was a favourite of Elizabeth I, his second cousin.... On the 8th of June, 1567, he was knighted, and on the same day created a baron under the title of Lord Buckhurst. Alter many services to the State he was made Lord High Treasurer in May, 1599. .......Soon after succeeding to the estates at the death of his father he set about the acquisition by purchase and exchange of further manors in the vicinity of Buckhurst......The manor of Withyham, called Mounkencourts or Munkloe 1569-70; the manors of Sheffield and Tarring Peverell 1570; Ridgehill 1576; Bolebrook 1590; Lavertie 1591; Framfield in 1592; Blackham 1592; Birchden, 1595; and Bullockstown in 1585.....Sir Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, had thus in 1597 in his possession seventeen manors in north-east Sussex, including the manor of Buckhurst, as well as several others in the southern part of the rape. In view of the many recent acquisitions, and the number of leases that had been granted since 1592, it was expedient to record the seventeen in a Terrier in 1597-8
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedHartfeldJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuHartfeldJan Blaeu
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenHartfeldRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
c 1724Forest Row and Hartfield, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenHartfield
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinHartfieldThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryHartfieldJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795Withyham, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamHartfield
1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperHartfieldG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.
c 1825Withyham, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodHartfield
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleMartfieldThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonHartfieldDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
6th Jun 1841CensusHartfield1841 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
The Workhouse - parish of Hartfield
Enumerator - Sarah Dewdney
6th Jun 1841CensusHartfield1841 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which is included between the rivers Medway and the stream running from Newbridge which stream forms part of the Eastern Boundary of the parish. The district to be bounded on the west by the farms of Hodore and Cotchford crossing the turnpike road to East Grinstead at the lane called Parrock Lane.
Enumerator - William Garrett
6th Jun 1841CensusHartfield1841 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies on the North side of the River Medway
Enumerator - Philip Marchant
6th Jun 1841CensusHartfield1841 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies to the westward of the farms of Hodore and Cotchford and which lies between the river Medway and the Newbridge streams and which is bounded on the West and Southwest by the parish of East Grinstead
Enumerator - Henry Langridge
6th Jun 1841CensusHartfield1841 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies in the South side of the Newbridge stream, which district includes all that part of the parish called Ashdown Forrest.
Enumerator - Abel Elliott
1851DirectoryHartfieldPost Office Directory
HARTFIELD is a village and parish, giving name to a Hundred, in East Grinstead Union, and Pevensey rape, 7 1/4 miles from East Grinstead, 1 west of Withyham, and 8 1/2 south-west from Tunbridge Wells, with 10,267 acres, and a population, in 1841, of 1,603; assessed at £8,168.
..........
30th Mar 1851CensusHartfield1851 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies on the North side of the River Medway including Holly Common, Sussex House, Hollywich House and Hollywich Farm, Heathplace, Cullinghurst, Colstock Cross, Tye Farm, Bolebrook, Perry Hill, Hartwell, Chartness, Bassetts, Beeches, Little Cansiron, St Ives and Lower Parrock Farms etc.
Enumerator - Charles Lervey
30th Mar 1851CensusHartfield1851 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies on the South side of the River Medway and which is bounded on the East by the Parish of Withyham and on the South by the Cotchford Stream taking each side of the Turnpike Road leading from Hartfield to Forest Row as far as Cat Street Gate including the Village of Hartfield, Cotchford Farm, Landhurst and Hodore Farms.
Enumerator - George Bocking
30th Mar 1851CensusHartfield1851 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies on the South side of the River Medway and to the North and Northwest of the stream which runs from Pippingford to Cotchford, taking each side of the Turnpike road beyond Cat Street Gate to Quabrook Common, including Pit Lands, Upper Parrock, Quabrook Common, Ashdown Park, Newbridge, Colemans Hatch, Harts Farm, Shawhurst, Fincham and Bumper Wood etc.
Enumerator - Robert Edwards
30th Mar 1851CensusHartfield1851 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies in the South and Southeast side of the stream which runs from Pippingford to Cotchford including large portions of the Ashdown Forest, Old Lodge, Newbridge, Thorn Hill, Wrens Warren, Neames Farm, part of 500 Acre Wood, Chuck Hatch, Cotchford Gate, Posingford Farm, Marsh Green, White House, etc.
Enumerator - Jonathan Clark
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerHartfieldLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
1867DirectoryHartfieldPost Office Directory
HARTFIELD is a village, parish, and railway station, giving name to a hundred, in the Eastern division of the county, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes, 7 miles south-east from East Grinstead railway station, one mile west from Withyham, and 8 1/2 miles south­west from Tunbridge Wells.
..............
The area is 10,267 acres, a great portion of which is forest land; the population in 1861 was 1451.
................
1874DirectoryHartfieldPost Office Directory
HARTFIELD is a village, parish, and station on the railway from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells, giving name to a hundred, in the Eastern division of the county, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes, 7 1/4 miles south-east from East Grinstead, and 8 1/2 south-west from Tunbridge Wells, on the road from Westerham to Lewes; it is in two parts, known as North and South divisions.
..............
The area is 10,267 acres, a great portion of which is forest land; gross estimated rental, £8,000 ; rateable value, £6,992; the population in 1871 was 1,540.
.................
c 1875Buckhurst, Balls Green, St Mary's & St Michael's, Hartfield & Withyham - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyHartfield
3rd Apr 1881CensusHartfield1881 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
The Village of Hartfield including Hartfield Rectory, Dorset Arms Inn, Stairs Farm and Oaklea, and West of Hartfield including Cotchford Farm, Landhurst, Gallypot, Cat Street, Fincham, Harts Farm, Quabrook, Netwons Hill, Lines Farm and Hodore Farm
3rd Apr 1881CensusHartfield1881 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
South West of Hartfield including Posingford Farm, Chuck Hatch, Wrens Warren, Newbridge, Thorn Hill, Old Lodge, Ashdown Park, Coleman's Hatch, Hatch Inn, Shepperds and Quabrook
3rd Apr 1881CensusHartfield1881 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
North of Hartfield including Tye Farm, Heath Place, Sussex House Farm, Cullinghurst, Perry Hill, Hartwell, Chartness, Saint Tyes, Bolebrook, Two Filletts, Little Cansiron, Rogers Town, Holtye and White Horse Inn
1882DirectoryHartfieldKelly's Directory
HARTFIELD is a village, parish and station on the railway from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells, giving its name to a hundred, in the Eastern division of the county, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape and diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes; rural deanerry of Pevensey fourth division, 7 1/4 miles south-east from East Grinstead and 8 1/2 south-west from Tunbridge Wells, on the road from Westerham to Lewes; it is in two parts, known as North and South divisions.
..........
The area is 10,267 acres, a great portion of which is forest land ; rateable value, £8,19. The population in 1871 was 1,540, and in 1881, 1,558,
...............
1890HistoryHartfieldFirmin's Guide

Hartfield is about a mile beyond Withyham.

The Church is dedicated to S. Mary. "The entrance to the churchyard is by a lych gate under an old cottage.

"There is a place here called Castle Field, which probably indicated the site of some ancient defence.

"The ancient mansion of Bolebrook, in the parish, was formerly the residence of the Sackvilles, and was one of the oldest brick buildings in Sussex, dating from the middle of the 15th century. A small portion of it, comprising the entrance gateway flanked by two towers, remains. Some parts of the foundations are traceable. A park and demesne were formerly attached to this ancient abode."

Hartfield is mentioned in Domesday Book as Hertevel.

5th Apr 1891CensusHartfield1891 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
Boundary All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies on the North side of the River Medway.
Contents This District includes Holtye Common, part of the ecclesiastical District of Hammerwood, Holywych House and Farm, Perry Hill, Hartwell House and Cottages, Chartness, Bolebrook, Bassetts, Brocks Hill, Cansiron, Saint Ives and Lower Parrock Farm.
The whole in the parliamentary division of East Grinstead
5th Apr 1891CensusHartfield1891 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
Boundary All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which is bounded on the North and North West by the River Medway and on the South and South East by the stream which runs from Newbridge and falls into the Medway on Summerford Farm. Also all that part of the Parish which lies on the North side of the road which crosses the Newbridge stream at Shawhurst Farm and is called Harts Lane, which leads also to Matthews Cross and terminates at the small stream on Quaybrook Common, forming the Parish boundary.
Contents This District includes the village of Hartfield, the Railway Station, Part of Old Buckhurst Farm and Park, Cotchford Farm, Hodore, Upper Parrock, Lines Farms, Fincham, Harts and Shawhurst
The whole in the parliamentary division of East Grinstead
5th Apr 1891CensusHartfield1891 Census
Hartfield, Sussex
Boundary All that part of the Parish of Hartfield which lies on the South and South Eastern side of the main road leading from the Parish boundary at Quaybrook Common to Matthews Cross, and to the Newbridge Stream at Harts Farm, also all the remaining portion of the Parish which lies to the South Eastern side of the stream running from Harts Farm to Cotsford
Contents This district includes the whole of that part of Ashdown Forest which is in Hartfield Parish, part of Broadstone Warrren, Ashdown Park, Old Lodge, New Lodge, Thorn Hill, Newbridge, Colemans Hatch, The Ridge, Hartfield Grove, Holly Hill, Chuck Hatch, Possingford Farm and the cottage at Cotchford Bridge.
The whole in the parliamentary division of East Grinstead
1904ReflectionsHartfieldHighways & Byways

Between Withyhanm and Hartfield in the north, and Crowborough Beacon and Wytch Cross in the south, is some of the finest open country in Sussex, where one may walk for hours and meet no human creature. Here are silent desolate woods - the Five Hundred Acre Wood, under Crowborough, chief of them - and vast wastes of undulating heath, rising here and there to great heights crowned with fir trees, as at Gill's Lap. A few enclosed estates interrupt the forest's open freedom, but nothing can tame it. Sombre dark heather gives the prevailing note, but between Old Lodge and Pippinford Park I once came upon a green and luxuriant valley that would not have been out of place in Tyrol; while there is a field near Chuck Hatch where in April one may see more dancing daffodils than ever Wordsworth did.

The Weald is at  Database version 10.7 which has ongoing updates to the 371,515 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 231 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives