The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Historical notes about Maresfield
1597 to 1598HistoryMaresfieldBuckhurst Terrier
Sir John Sackville, who was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in the reign of Henry VIII, married Margaret Boleyn, the aunt of Queen Anne Boleyn, so that his son Richard was that queen’s first cousin. This Richard Sackville was a man of outstanding ability.......He grew very rich by dealings in land in many counties, often the former possessions of suppressed chantrys and of attainted noblemen, his name appears more frequently in the Close Rolls of that period than that of any other person ............ It was jestingly said of him that his name should be Fillsack, not Sackville. He acquired the lands of the Chantry of St. Marie in 1550, those of the Fraternity of St. Katherine probably at about the same time, Tablehurst in 1559, Imberhorne in 1560, and Alchorne in 1564............... The manor of Broome, which included the greater part of the village of Hartfield, was purchased some time after 1584. Collinghurst was also in his possession at the time of his death, April 21, 1564. His only son Thomas, born in 1536, was one of the most prominent men of his time. In his earlier years a poet, he was a favourite of Elizabeth I, his second cousin.... On the 8th of June, 1567, he was knighted, and on the same day created a baron under the title of Lord Buckhurst. Alter many services to the State he was made Lord High Treasurer in May, 1599. .......Soon after succeeding to the estates at the death of his father he set about the acquisition by purchase and exchange of further manors in the vicinity of Buckhurst......The manor of Withyham, called Mounkencourts or Munkloe 1569-70; the manors of Sheffield and Tarring Peverell 1570; Ridgehill 1576; Bolebrook 1590; Lavertie 1591; Framfield in 1592; Blackham 1592; Birchden, 1595; and Bullockstown in 1585.....Sir Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, had thus in 1597 in his possession seventeen manors in north-east Sussex, including the manor of Buckhurst, as well as several others in the southern part of the rape. In view of the many recent acquisitions, and the number of leases that had been granted since 1592, it was expedient to record the seventeen in a Terrier in 1597-8
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedMarsfeldJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuMarsfeldJan Blaeu
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenMaryfieldRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
c 1724Fletching and Maresfield, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenMaresfield
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinMaresfieldThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryMaresfieldJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795Fletching and Marefield, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamMaresfield
1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperMaresfieldG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.
c 1825Fletching and Marefield, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodMaresfield
1828 to 1829Pigot's Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and Nutley - 1828 to 1829Pigot's 1828/1829 Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and NutleyPigot's Directory
1832 to 1834Pigot's Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and Nutley - 1832 to 1834Pigot's 1832/33/34 Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and NutleyPigot's Directory
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleMaresfieldThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1839 to 1840Pigot's Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and Nutley - 1839 to 1840Pigot's 1839/40 Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and NutleyPigot's Directory
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonMaresfieldDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
6th Jun 1841CensusMaresfield1841 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield which lies on the North side of the Chelwood and Duddleswell roads.
Enumerator: John Lawrence
6th Jun 1841CensusMaresfield1841 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield which lies on the East side of the Lewes and London turnpike road from the Budletts to Horney Common and on the South side of the Common and a road from thence by the Mill and Lampool Green to Duddleswell Gate. This district will take two or three cottages contiguous to the Gate on the North side of the road more conveniently than they can be taken by the enumerator appointed to district no 8 - consequence of them being remote from any house in that district.
Enumerator: Thomas Bourner
6th Jun 1841CensusMaresfield1841 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield which lies on the West side of the Turnpike road from the Burdletts to Horney Common from thence on the South side of a lane to Black Ven in the Parish of Fletching and on the East side of a road joining the boundary of the Parish from thence to Pilt Down, all that part of Pilt Down situated within the boundaries of the Parish and from thence to the Burdletts.
Enumerator: James Wood
6th Jun 1841CensusMaresfield1841 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield which lies on the South side of Black Ven lane, Horney Common and the road from thence to Duddleswell (except the houses at Duddleswell mentioned in District No. 6) and on the South side of a road leading from Chelwood Common and crossing the London Road between Nutley and Millbrook to Duddleswell.
Enumerator: Samuel Reed
1851DirectoryMaresfieldPost Office Directory
MARESFIELD is a parish on the high roads from Croydon and Bromley to Lewes and Eastbourne, 1 3/4 miles north of Uckfield, and 11 1/4 south-east of East Grinstead, in Rushmonden Hundred, Uckfield Union, Pevensey rape, with 7,750 acres, and a population of 1,678, assessed to the Income Tax at £6,059.
..............
30th Mar 1851CensusMaresfield1851 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield on the South side of the road leading from Five Ash Down to Pilt Down.
Enumerator - Thomas J. Knight
30th Mar 1851CensusMaresfield1851 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield on the North side of the road leading from Five Ash Down as far as Maresfield Street then taking the Eastern side of the Turnpike road past Maresfield Street to Duddleswell Pay Gate to the extremity of the parish adjoining Buxted.
Enumerator - Thomas Piper
30th Mar 1851CensusMaresfield1851 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
30th Mar 1851CensusMaresfield1851 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield lying to the West of the London Turnpike road leading from Horney Common to Witch Cross to the boundary of the Parish.
Enumerator - George Fenner
30th Mar 1851CensusMaresfield1851 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Maresfield lying to the East of the London Turnpike road leading from Horney Common to Witch Cross from thence to Pippingford, Mill Brook, Wind Mill and to Duddleswell taking all the houses to the West of the Turnpike road from Duddleswell to the road leading from the Old Workhouse to the Wind Mill from thence to Horney Common.
Enumerator - Ira Huggett
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerMaresfieldLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
1867DirectoryMaresfieldPost Office Directory
MARESFIELD is a large and scattered parish, 2 miles north from Uckfield railway station, and 11 south-east from East Grinstead, in the Eastern division of the county, Rushmonden hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Lewes county court distriet and archdeaeonry, and diocese of Chiehester.
...........
Area 7,750 acres, a great portion of which is woods and forest land; the population in 1861 was 1,911.
...............
1874DirectoryMaresfieldPost Office Directory
MARESFIELD is a large and scattered parish, 2 miles north from Uckfield railway station, and 11 south-east from East Grinstead, on the road from Uckfield to East Grinstead, in the Eastern division of the county, Rushmonden hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district, rural deanery of Chailey, archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester.
.................
Area, 7,750 acres, a great portion of which is woods and forest land; gross estimated rental £7,143; rateable value, £5,817; the population in 1871 was 1965.
..................
c 1875Maresfield, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyMaresfield
3rd Apr 1881CensusMaresfield1881 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
Maresfield Village, Park Farm and South of Maresfield including Budletts and Piltdown
3rd Apr 1881CensusMaresfield1881 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
North of Maresfield including Cobdown, Tan Yard, Woodlands, Lampool, Fairwarp, Foresters Arms and Duddleswell
3rd Apr 1881CensusMaresfield1881 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
North West of Maresfield including Lampool Farm, Old Forge, Horney Common, Down Street, Star Inn and Maresfield Park
3rd Apr 1881CensusMaresfield1881 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
Nutley Village including Millbrook, Masketts Farm and Foords Green
3rd Apr 1881CensusMaresfield1881 Census
Maresfield, Sussex
Nutley Village including Dodds Bank, Pippinford, Cackle Street, William IVth Beerhouse, Nutley Inn and Prince of Wales
1882DirectoryMaresfieldKelly's Directory
MARESFIELD is a large and scattered parish and village 2 miles north from Uckfield, 10 north-east from Lewes, and 11 south-east from East Grinstead, on the road from Uckfield to East Grinstead, in the Eastern division of the county, Rushmonden hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district, rural deanery of Pevensey No. 3, archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester.
............
Area, 7,750 acres, a great portion of which is woods and forest land; rateable value, £7,020 ; the population in 1881 was 2,082.
.................
1888Brooker's Guide and Directory - 1888Brooker's 1888 Guide and Directory of MaresfieldBrooker's Guide
1890HistoryMaresfieldFirmin's Guide

Maresfield is between four and five miles from Crowborough. The way to it is by the Uckfield Road as far as Five Ash Down. Here the road branches off to the right.

The Rev. Mr. Turner, who has written a history of Maresfield, and to whom I am indebted for the following particulars, considers that Marysfield is the right designation of Maresfield, and that the district was formerly dedicated to S. Mary.

There was a royal palace or hunting-lodge in the parish, supposed to have been built by Edward II. It stood in a wood called the Vetchery, near Nutley, some distance from the present village of Maresfield. Both Edward III and his son, John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, frequented it for sport.

A place near Duddleswell is still called "King's Standing" on the supposition that it is the spot where the royal sportsmen stood to observe the sport. From this royal hunting-lodge Edward II executed two deeds, dated 23rd and 24th September, 1324.

There was also a chapel near Nutley, situated in Chapel Wood, on an eminence. The foundations are now entirely removed. In 1541 it was no longer used for divine service, but it is marked on a map of Sussex of the time of Queen Elizabeth.

In the Churchwardens' book of 1541 mention is made of the removal of the sacramental cup and vestments to the church at Maresfield.

Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.6 which has ongoing updates to the 370,382 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 227 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives