The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Farm House, Edenbridge photographed by The Architect - 1882
  Enlarge  Previous  Next 
Source: Private collection
Farm House - 1882

FARMHOUSE, STABLING, ETC., NEAR EDENBRIDGE, KENT.

The small farmhouse was built at Four Elms, near Edenbridge, by Mr. Wallis, of Lingfield Common, Surrey. The ground floor consists of a hall, 10 feet square; a parlour, 11 feet 6 inches by 12 feet, with chimney-work, over which is an old oak beam preserved from a house formerly standing on the site; a parlour, 10 feet 6 inches by 10 feet, with fireplace in the projecting bay seen in the view; dairy, 10 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 6 inches; kitchen, 15 feet by 12 feet; and small scullery. On the first floor are two bedrooms, each 12 feet by 14 feet, and one bedroom, 10 feet 9 inches by 10 feet 6 inches. The walls on the ground floor are faced with red bricks, and the upper floor is enclosed with brick walls, the outer faces of which are covered with red hanging tiles.

The stabling, &c., was built by Mr. Goodwin, of Edenbridge. It consists of a double coach-house, 18 feet by 16 feet, and a two-stall stable and loose box, and a harness-room; over the coach-house and harness-room is a billiard-room of the usual size. The lantern is carried by an open timber roof with curved braces. The walls are faced with red bricks, the roofs covered with brindled Broseley tiles, and the half-timber work is filled in with rough stucco or brick.

Mr. H. Jarvis, jun., of 29 Trinity Square, London, S.E., was the architect.

The Architect - 25th March1882

More about
Four Elms

Edenbridge Picture Gallery


Farm House - 1882

Farm House - 1882

Stabling & Billiard Room - 1882

Stabling & Billiard Room - 1882

High Street - 1900

High Street - 1906

Stangrove Road - 1908


High Street - 1909

Stone Bridge - 1910

Lych Gate - 1913

Haxted Mill - 1915

Uplands Farm, Crockham Hill - 1920

The River Eden - 1920

Bullnose Morris in the High Street - c 1920


The Church and Cradle Bridge - 1921

Edenbridge Church - c 1935
Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.5 - 1st May 2014 and contains information on 370,382 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 227 books © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives